To use a monster, you need to have [PACNyx] by Nyxojaele. Refer to the Hacking the RBO resource files for more info.
How to Play as MonstersEdit
For this explanation, we'll try to play as the [Shinobi], a sub boss at Ex-Stage 6.
- First, run PACNyx and browse for the monster name with 2 file extension, DAT and FOB. Extract those 2 files.
In this case, we extract the SHINOBI.DAT and SHINOBI.FOB from EX3DISC.
- Now pick which character you want to replace. The choices [formatted name] are
SWORDMAN_M, ARCHER_M, MAGICIAN_M, MERCHANT_M, ACOLYTE_M, THIEF_M, NOVICE_M, SWORDMAN_F, ARCHER_F, MAGICIAN_F, MERCHANT_F, ACOLYTE_F, THIEF_F, NOVICE_F.
- In this case, we'll try to change a female [Swordman] to the Shinobi. So we need to rename the SHINOBI.DAT and SHINOBI.FOB to SWORDMAN_F.DAT and SWORDMAN_F.FOB.
- Also, create a new folder named SWORDMAN_F and put those 2 files inside.
- Browse to your Ex3 folder, into the DATA folder. Create a new folder named CHARA. Then inside CHARA, create a new folder named PLAYER. Place the earlier SWORDMAN_F folder inside this PLAYER folder.
- Or to put it simply, we need to put a 'fake' character DAT and FOB to the Ex3FOLDER\DATA\CHARA\PLAYER\PlayerCharFolder. By doing this, the game will use the 'fake' DAT and FOB file when we select a character and we can play a monster instead. In this case, we play as Shinobi instead of a female Swordman.
Replace a Monster with Other MonsterEdit
Same way can be used to replace monsters in a stage. But the path is Ex3FOLDER\DATA\CHARA\ENEMY\EnemyNameFolder.
For example, if we browse the EX3DISC file using PACNyx, we can find files named KAPHA.DAT and KAPHA.FOB. If we rename the earlier SHINOBI files to KAPHA, then put the 'fake' KAPHA.DAT and KAPHA.FOB file at Ex3FOLDER\DATA\CHARA\ENEMY\KAPHA, every Kapha in the game will change to a Shinobi [Kapha only appears at Ex-Stage 6].
Mind you that if we do this and change the FSwordman to Shinobi, it only appears so in our PC. If we give the replay file and put it to another PC without doing the DAT/FOB hack [or remove the renamed folder in our own PC], the replay will only showing a female Swordman doing weird movement. So this is really just for fun only.
The same with replace a monster with other monster, the selected replay will only affected in your PC only..
If you can't see a file extension, open your Windows Explorer select "Tools" at the main menu, select "Folder Options". Click the "View" tab and uncheck "Hide file extensions for known file types".